fredag 1 augusti 2014

Poverty, WW2, genocide and sex trafficking ...


Me  as a kiddo, and my siblings 
When I was a small child I often wondered how there could be so much poverty in the world, especially when the world was full of a lot of rich people. My mom didn't really have good answer for me, or not good enough at least. As I grew up I became determined that I should try to help less fortunate people. I would say my grandmother (who suffered a lot in Auschwitz) inspired me a lot in my efforts to try to combat injustices. The steps that I took that really brought me to where I am today has also a lot to do with two other things ...

            
           Rwanda presidential election 2010
Rwanda 2010

After I watched the tragic events of Rwanda, and in the movie "Hotel Rwanda", I said to my self "I am gonna go here one day". And that I did. In the summer of 2010 I did my first trip to Rwanda, and that was the year I also did my first election observation mission. However, it was when I met this incredible and ambitious boss of mine at United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) in South Africa that I first worked in the area of sex trafficking, and which eventually made me step into this area once again, in India.
Port Elizabeth, South Africa, 2012

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar